Monday, November 9, 2009

Mozart 101 with Sherri

Everything I know about Mozart I learned from the movie, Amadeus. If memory serves, the Viennese made some rather naughty-looking chocolates named after a part of the female anatomy, and Mozart had a silly laugh. In my defense, when the movie premiered twenty-five years ago, I was busy putting the perfect slouch on my leg warmers and teasing my hair to heights that would have made a Georgian-era wigmaker proud.

In an effort to overcome my meager knowledge of classical music, I bought an album entitled, “ Mozart for Your Mind”. With iPod in hand and an earnest desire to boost my brainpower, I sat down to listen. Keep in mind, I can’t read music, I’m tone deaf, and my singing voice can only be described as horrific.

Imagine my surprise when the composition reverberating through my ear buds resonated on a perfect emotional pitch! I sent Amadeus right to the top of my Netflix Queue. I mean, can you imagine the killer soundtrack? Then I started looking for ways to improve on my new-found appreciation of all things Mozart.

On Monday, November 9th, I’ll be joining Opera Omaha in a four-part lecture and performance series to learn more about the life and work of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Please accompany me on the journey as we answer these burning questions: Can a person who once confused the word ‘opera’ with ‘Oprah’ be taught to appreciate classical music? And…In 150 years, will ‘rum balls’ be considered ‘naughty’?

PS: If there’s a good turnout, I might even be persuaded to reveal a picture of my 1980’s hairdo.
Sherri Shackelford | Mozart 101 student

6 comments:

Cheryl St.John said...

I do have a couple of Mozart CDs and listen occasionally. The class sounds like a good one. I might be persuaded to join it if you post the hair pics.

lizzie starr said...

I enjoy Mozart--wish I was in Omaha to attend the class. I do love expanding my listening horizons.

Julie A. Carda said...

I attended the Itzhak Perlman concert this past weekend and the first half of the program was Mozart's Symphony No. 29 in A Major and Concerto No. 3 in G Major. Both were easily recognized pieces that gave me an hour of mental relaxation. The class sounds like a great opportunity. Enjoy!

Julie :) said...

Good for you for expanding your musical horizons! I'm sad to say I've never even seen Amadeus even though it's one of my sister's all-time favorite movies. I'm going to pull out my relaxing Mozart CDs after I finish this . . .

barb said...

Ahhhh Motzart float away on to a calm, relaxed place. . .better than Calgon take me away! How many are even old enough to remember that :) Sounds like a great class

Deb said...

I can't believe it's been 25 years since Amadeus came out!!! I've always been a Mozart fan and fascinated with his short, but productive life. I'd love to see the hair pics too!